In this blog post, I’m going to give you 6 practical ways to attract more money.
They say that “money can’t buy you happiness”, it can’t, I agree (this has been proven btw – you adjust to the money you have) BUT BUT BUT, it does buy you the freedom of choice to do whatever you want.
So, it’s important to try and form a good relationship with money.
It’s important you feel good around the topic of money generally.
It’s important you feel happy when thinking about money.
Well I’m going to give you the tips that helped me change my relationship with money a number of years ago and given me the financial freedom I need:
Create Your Own Income
There is NOTHING more liberating than the ability to generate your own money.
Imagine how amazing it will be if you can generate an additional £100, £200, £500, £1,000 and more per month???
The potential is unlimited to be honest.
THIS IS 100% POSSIBLE FOR EVERYONE TO DO.
If you’re really clever, you will create a passive income stream which means you create a product once (write an e-book for example) and then it continues to create you money for evermore.
How cool is that?
So, what I recommend you do, is identify the one thing that you really enjoy doing in your spare time and you’re good at – could be up-cycling furniture, jewellery making, book writing, creating websites, fixing cars – whatever it is.
Take it and turn it into a little side business.
Create a how-to video to sell on Udemy or set up a shop on Etsy or do nails in your spare time.
Don’t over think it – just start.
The objective is to create a side income stream.
From small acorns remember…..
Remember if you’re stuck on the “how” brainstorm with friends and family or employ a small business coach like me.
Spend Your Money
Yup – spend your money.
Deepak Chopra talks about this in his book “7 Spiritual Laws” under the law of “Giving” he says:
“The word affluence comes from the root word “affluere”, which means to “to flow to”. The word affluence means “to flow in abundance”. Money is really a symbol of the life energy we exchange and the life energy we use as a result of the service we provide to the universe. Another word for money is “currency” which also reflects the flowing nature of energy. The word “currency” comes from the Latin word “currere” which means “to run” or to flow.
Therefore, if we stop the circulation of money – if our only intention is to hold onto our money and hoard it – since it’s life energy, we will stop its circulation back into our lives as well. In order to keep that energy coming to us, we have to keep the energy circulating. Like a river, money must keep flowing, otherwise it begins to stagnate, to clog, to suffocate and strangle its very own life force. Circulation keeps it alive and vital.”
I learnt this rule a long time ago and then I read Deepak’s book (I highly recommend btw, see my blog post on the Best 10 Self Help Books) which cemented it into my philosophy of life and it’s served me very well in deed.
This is not about getting into debt or being flash with the cash – NO NO NO, it’s about spending where and when you can, within your means and ENJOYING IT!
Enjoy the Luxuries
If you enjoy life, you will attract more good things into your life.
And there is no better way to enjoy life, then to indulge yourself as often as you can.
And did you know that you can indulge on a budget?!
I know! Billiant…..
Here are some of my top tips for this:
- Find your local beauty college and book treatments with them. What? YUP! Beauty colleges generally offer reduced price treatments for facials, waxing, manicure, hair and nails. When I say reduced, I’m looking at Newbury College Beauty Salon website now and they charge £8 for a skin boosting facial, £12 for a luxury pedicure, £12 for shampoo, cut and finish……..
- If you like acupuncture, google “multi bed” treatments for your area and I’m sure one will come up. Multibed acupuncture is where you have an acupuncture treatment, but pay what you can afford. Normally a minimum price of £15. The sessions are conducted in a room which you share with other people, but with areas partitioned off for privacy. The sessions are about 45 minutes each.
- Group On – a website dedicated to bringing you offers for virtually everything you can think of in terms of treatments and experiences and so much more. Simply type what you’re looking for, along with the area and boom!
- Looking to expand your learning? Looking to expand your skills to run your small business? Then don’t look any further than Udemy. It’s an amazing course website with literally millions of amazing courses on everything and anything you desire and they are all about £10 ish.
- If you like movies, then find out when your local cinema does 2 for 1 offers (normally Tuesday and Wednesday) or cheap tickets (a Monday for me and it costs £4.50 for a movie). Want refreshments, but can’t justify the cost of buying in the cinema? I checked with my local cinema and they said they don’t care if you bring in your own food and drink as long as it’s not hot.
Don’t Waste Money
In one breath I’m saying spend money and be generous and, in another breath, I’m saying don’t waste it.
Hear me out.
Absolutely yes, be generous within your means and enjoy spending money BUT be savvy generally about what and more importantly HOW you buy things.
- Be prepared and menu plan so you only have to do one big shop per week. This will save you LOADS of money on unneeded “popping to the supermarket” trips where you end up spending a fortune PLUS if you menu plan you will find your food wastage will drastically reduce. DOUBLE BONUS.
- On the topic of shopping, use your reward cards. I know that the use of the reward card benefits the supermarket more than us, but the fact is if you sign up to the loyalty schemes, you will regularly get discount vouchers etc. Personally, I like Sainsbury & Boots because their reward systems allow you to convert the points into money to buy things. Plus, Café Nero because you get free coffees via a simple loyalty card system.
- Research your utility and internet subscriptions regularly. I know kinda boring but it can save you lots n lots. If you’re in the UK start with the government organisation ofgem who have a list of approved price comparison websites for utility bills. For internet / tv / phone package comparison use the wonderful Money Saving Expert to help you.
- Review your mortgage deal as regularly as your mortgage package allows you. Definitely review directly with your lender when a fixed rate is coming to the end and I also recommend getting yourself a good mortgage broker to review the market for you regularly with a view to re-mortgaging as reasonably frequent as possible. This can save you LOADS.
- Sell the good stuff you don’t need any longer. E-Bay anyone? One man’s junk is another man’s treasure and all that….. have a thorough review of your home, declutter (I’ve got don’t so many blogs and podcasts on this!) and sell the stuff you don’t want or use anymore. It’s as simple as that!
Gratitude Gratitude Gratitude
I’m like a broken record when it comes to the topic of gratitude and I’m not going to apologise for it!
If you want more money in your life, then YOU HAVE TO be grateful for the money that you already have. This can be a hard mind shift, particularly if you don’t think you’re earning much, but try to do this.
Take a moment to be grateful for the money that you have and be thankful for what it’s enabling you to do. Whenever you think of money and in particular your bank balance or your wages, in fact money generally, as soon as you can, flick you thinking to one of huge gratitude and positivity. Thank your money for all the things it allows you to buy.
It will make a difference in the long run.
Plus, if you ever find lose change on the floor, even if it’s one penny, pick it up and be grateful for it!
Yes be grateful for it.
Send up a silent prayer of thanks to the money gods and thank them for sending you this money. The spiritual theory being, you will be sent more back.
Think that’s a load of rubbish? Well, all I’m going to say to you is – what’s the harm in doing it anyway?
Don’t leave! This will help.
If you have debt, it can be absolutely debilitating and can literally suck the fun out of life if you let it.
Remember, to attract money you need to feel good about money!
So, whatever your situation, please I urge you to not bury your head in the sand:
- Tell someone – share the burden. Don’t suffer alone.
- Get professional help.
Not all debt is bad by the way, but it’s important that you understand the debt you have and work out an action plan.
Both of the above, will be able to help you.
Or, yet again consult with family or close friends and ask for their help.
You may be surprised how sharing the burden and getting advice can help, you never know the solution could be right under your nose.
I hope this helped you.
Remember, it’s important to feel good about money.
That’s my objective for you.
Other blog posts that maybe of interest are:
Try my free e-book – 12 Commandments to a Kick Ass Life