Dark Chocolate can be considered as a health food. How cool is that? The health benefits of chocolate made from raw cacao are various:
• Packed with Antioxidants
• Lowers Blood Pressure
• Good for Circulation
• Help prevent Stroke
• Lowers BMI
To receive these benefits though the chocolate needs to be a good quality brand and made from at least 70% cocoa. Unfortunately you find that the good quality shop bought chocolate is either really expensive or full of sugar or both.
The good news is you can easily make your own and it’s so quick and easy to do. All you need are the ingredients below, ice cube trays (or chocolate moulds or a plate) and a saucepan.
The ingredients can be purchased at your local health food store. So there is an initial investment but trust me it’s worth it. Your chocolate is made to suit your taste, full of natural ingredients, no sugar and best of all its CHEAP!
• 115g of raw cacao butter. If you don’t have use 115g of coconut oil instead.
• 115g of 100% coconut oil, softened
• 30g raw cacao powder (unprocessed)
• 2 Tablespoons of rice malt syrup (You can use stevia or xylitol instead and adjust to your taste)
• Pinch of sea salt
1. Melt cacao butter in a saucepan over low heat
2. Slowly add the coconut oil, cacao powder, rice malt syrup and salt.
3. Stir until smooth
4. Add in flavour options from the list below
5. Stir well. Taste (careful let it cool on the spoon).
6. Adjust to suit your taste
7. Pour into ice cube moulds
8. Freeze for 1 hour
9. Once hard store in fridge or freezer. Note raw chocolate will melt in temperatures warmer than 22oc)
1. Choco mint – Add a couple of drops of Peppermint Oil
2. Chocolate Orange – Add a couple of drops of Orange Oil
3. Fruit and Nut – Add in 50g of chopped brazil nuts and raisins
4. Peanut Butter Cups – Stir in 2 tablespoons of peanut butter (adjust according to taste)
5. Chilli Chocolate – Add 2 teaspoon of cinnamon and 1 teaspoon of cayenne pepper.
Enjoy. But don’t devour in one sitting! For maximum health benefits consume 1 to 3 cubes a day. No more!