Dealing with Depression with Consultant Psychiatrist Dr Sarkhel: PART 1 & 2
In this podcast, Dr Sarkhel gives us ALL the information you need to know about depression. I mean everything. Any questions you have WILL be answered in this podcast. It’s a long podcast but it’s probably my favourite to date, hence why I’ve aired for my 100 episode! In this podcast he tells us:
- What depression is and also what it isn’t – 5 minutes into the podcast
- What causes depression – 7.30 minutes into the podcast
- Common symptoms of depression – 9 minutes into the podcast
- Different types of depression. He clears up confusion on bipolar and manic depression (same thing) – 13 minutes into podcast.
- How can we help ourselves not to get depressed – 22 minutes into the podcast. Did you know thyroid issues commonly cause depression?
- Where can you go to for help if you’re depressed and the treatments available – 26.15 minutes into podcast.
- Why antidepressants are an effective treatment for depression and shouldn’t be shied away from – 32.30 minutes into the podcast.
- He talks about the different types of antidepressants and he clear up confusion on why (old and new generation) antidepressants are not addictive – 34 minutes into the podcast
- Antidepressants takes at least 3 weeks to work – 36 minutes into the podcast.
- His approach to treating depression using an integrated approach – PART 2 – 40.40 minutes into the podcast.
- Why mindfulness meditation is so important for mental health and a good treatment for depression – 48 minutes into the podcast.
- Guides us through a mindfulness meditation – 53.15 minutes into the podcast.
- Talks about another non chemical treatment of depression called RTMS – 58.30 minutes into the podcast.
- Talks about acupuncture to treat depression and the science behind it’s effectiveness for treating depression – 1.04 minutes into the podcast.
- How to help someone who is suffering from depression – 1.07 minutes into the podcast.
- Difference between anxiety and depression. 1.08.30
Dr Arghya Sarkhel is a Consultant Psychiatrist with over 20 years of experience in Mental Health Services. He is on the Specialist Register of the General Medical Council and a member of The Royal College of Psychiatrists and has been awarded Fellowship by The Royal College of Psychiatrists for his contribution to Mental Health. Dr Sarkhel specialises in Adult Psychiatry, Old Age Psychiatry and Liaison Psychiatry and holds an MSc in Neuroscience, passed with distinction from King’s College, University of London. He has published a number of research articles in peer reviewed journals and is currently an examiner for MRCPsych for The Royal College Of Psychiatrists. Dr Sarkhel places a strong emphasis on Evidence-Based Practice and takes a mindfulness approach to the assessment and treatment of multiple conditions citing that ‘my session includes an integrated approach to psychological intervention – drawing relevant and beneficial models from CBT, the psychoanalytic approach, the Jungian approach and focussing on relapse prevention.’ As well as treating individuals, Dr Sarkhel has a wealth of experience in providing medicolegal psychiatric reports from assessing fitness to plea to assessing capacity for Lasting Power of Attorney. Dr Sarkhel is also an experienced Medical Acupuncturist and Mindfulness Coach and brings this large breadth of knowledge in the treatment of a number of conditions. Dr Sarkhel has a particular interest in assessing and treating: Dementia and its causes, Stress-related disorders including Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD), Mood disorders, Anxiety disorders and Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD).
Website for Dr Sarkhel – http://www.livingmind.co.uk
Want to flick the Instant Happiness Switch? Then download my FREE E-Book: The Happiness Revolution: Instant Happiness
I would love to hear from you. If you would like more information or to
make an enquiry, please use the form below.
Phone: 01635 600 604
Mobile: 07928 786 544