I can guarantee if you go and see a Life Coach, one of the first exercises they will get you to do is fill out The Wheel of Life.
It’s such a simple Life Coaching tool; yet extremely powerful and so simple to use.
As you know, many Client’s come for Coaching because they feel stuck in a rut, they know they are not happy but are not sure why or what they need to do to change their life.
In this situation, I will pull out The Wheel of Life to identify how they feel about certain areas of their life right now.
By understanding how my Client currently feels about certain areas of their lives, gives both the Client and myself clarity as to where we could perhaps start the Coaching process.
You can use The Wheel of Life to Coach yourself at home.
The Wheel of Life is broken into 8 segments:
- Family / Friends
- Personal Growth
- Spiritual Growth
How to use the Wheel of Life
- Get a piece of paper and pen
- Draw a circle and split into 8 segments
- Allocate each segment one of the titles above
- Now think about your life now and rate how you feel about each segment title. 0 is non-existent and 10 is over the moon / brilliant.
- Write outside of the each segment your score.
- Inside the segment draw a line to represent the score across the segment. 0 will be near the centre and 10 will be the outside circle.
- Connect the new lines you’ve drawn
The new perimeter you have drawn by connecting the lines forms your Wheel of Life.
How does it look? Bumpy?!
Now, take a look at the low segments where you have scored below 5.
For each of these segments answer the following so you can start to formulate a coaching plan:
- What specifically in that segment is causing me the most concern?
- How will my life look and feel when I score a 10?
- What’s the first step I need to take to increase my satisfaction from where it is now and take it to the next level?
- What’s the second step I will take?
- What’s the third step I will take?
- Repeat this all the way through step by step until you’ve reached a 10
- Action the steps!
You scored 3 in relationships because although you are happy you would like to meet someone.
The steps might be:
- Get a make over
- Get a professional photo
- Write dating profile
- Get Jane to proof read on-line profile
- Set up profile and go live
- Brush up on “date talk” in preparation of dates
- Go on two dates per week
Simply follow the same procedure for all the segments on your wheel where you scored low.
Have a plan of action for each.